Friday, November 25, 2016

Fantastic Beasts Review


by Elijah Varner
I didn't have high hopes for this movie, I'll be honest. It seemed kind of a random, step down, from the Harry Potter saga. Also, I didn't like director David Yates' work in The Legend of Tarzan. However, when I saw it, I was pleasantly surprised. It exceeded my expectations.
         You can definitely sense the old J.K.Rowling flair in the creative magical ideas in the movie. That was good to see. Also, some of the imaginative creatures they show, even if only for a second, were pleasing to see another aspect of the wizarding world. They showed creatures of magic from all different parts of the world, and it was cool to see. The overall lens of the movie had a happy, wondrous tone, likened unto the first three Harry Potter movies. This led to lots of laughs, something I haven't seen in Harry Potter movies for a while. My favorite scene was one of the beginning, in which Newt Scamander is searching for one of his creatures in a bank. It was good to see that again.
          And while there were a lot of surprising things in this movie, there's always something wrong with a movie. First off, they had more characters than they knew what to do with. Even the main protagonists at times felt like they had nothing to do and were useless. This in turn, led to a lot of unresolved problems at the end of the movie that are never even addressed. The middle of the movie started to get really slow, and the climax finally felt like it was going to be epic. It was, but I feel like the overall final problem could have been resolved in a better way.
   But you know what? This movie surprised me with it's boldness and creativity, so I give it a solid 70% on the Cinemameter or whatever my rating scale will be called. I would recommend seeing it, just for sheer enjoyment, but don't expect anything too great.




No comments:

Post a Comment